Wednesday 21 August 2013

Victoria Sandwich

The Great British Bake-Off got me inspired to make a Victoria Sandwich this afternoon. Of course I couldn't just do a plain one, so I added fresh Raspberries and Blueberries to the mix, being as the blackberries weren't in season yet.
 It's in old school sizing - no 'grams' here! That way I remember the recipe - it's always the same amount in oz of the dry ingredients, then half as many eggs; 6oz = 3 eggs or 8:4, 10:5. 

Mine seems to be a bit on the small size, but I couldn't have made a bigger mixture because I ran out of eggs. And I expect it would have whisked up bigger too, if I'd got the machine out instead of doing it all by hand.

In a large bowl cream together:
6oz butter
6oz caster sugar

Stir in:
3 large eggs (a bit at a time)
a few drops of vanilla extract

Sift in:
6oz self-raising flour

Throw in:
1 small handful of fresh Raspberries 
1 small handful of Blueberries

Divide the mixture between 2 sandwich tins
Bake on Gas 5 for 25mins until springy to the touch and slightly coming away from the sides of the tin

Leave to cool on a wire rack

Once cool spread with Raspberry Jam
Sandwich together
Then dust Icing Sugar over the top

No comments:

Post a Comment