Monday 7 October 2013

Ginger Cake

Well that's two 'firsts' this evening -
1) I have made Ginger Cake
and
2) I baked using a non-metal cake tin (which can't be called 'tin', but I don't know what else to call it!)

How successful my late night kitchen adventure is, will be decided tomorrow when I have my newly married son and daughter-in-law for tea.

I made a huge mess in the kitchen, mostly due to how many bowls you need to use, but I eventually got it all back to normal. So bake this one at your peril - it didn't help that the dishwasher is broken, and I had to do all the washing up by hand though.

Grease a 9'x9' square cake tin with butter

Melt 120g butter in a small pan then pour into a bowl

Beat 120g sugar with 1 egg for 2 minutes, then stir into the melted butter

In another bowl sift together:
450g plain flour
1 and a half teaspoons of bicarbonate of soda
1 teaspoon of ground Cinnamon
1 teaspoon of ground ginger
half teaspoon of salt

In another bowl mix together:
120ml molasses
120ml clear honey
250ml hot water
grated rind of 1 orange 

Add in the sifted and liquid ingredients alternately, in 3 batches, into the butter mixture until thoroughly blended

Pour into the greased tin
Bake on Gas 4 for 45/55 minutes until firm and it shrinks a little from the side of the tin

Turn out to cool on a wire rack
 
Can be frozen for up to 3 months. Thaw overnight in the fridge

1 comment: