Tuesday 5 November 2013

Norwegian Jarlsberg Bread

My kitchen is currently reeling from the shock of my bread making exploits this evening. I'm not sure it will ever be the same again. I went back to the Hairy Bikers Cook Book to bake a loaf because the bread ran out this morning, and I foolishly thought I'd rustle up an interesting loaf for lunch tomorrow, rather than pop out to Morrisons - I wonder what time they close tonight? Am I too late? 
I also didn't quite have all the right ingredients, so I substituted parsley for oregano, had no full fat milk (what difference could 1% possibly make?), and discovered after I'd mixed everything together that the yeast was still in the bowl frothing away nicely!! Whoops.
Add to these dilemnas a cold house, dough that wouldn't rise, a deadline for our first Christmas Choir practise in a little while, not to mention that I really should have thought to take off my new woolly cardi before I got glupped up with sticky dough, so all in all I'm beginning to wish that I'd just gone and bought a sliced loaf instead. 
And I haven't even begun to try and describe the plaiting. The recipe made no sense whatsoever, and I foolishly thought I didn't have much dough, definitely not enough to make 4 loaves like it suggested, so I went for just the one, and quickly discovered that my work surface just wasn't going to be long enough to cope with all the stretching that rolling a plait that was 4 times bigger than it should be. I gave up and made a cob loaf - so who knows what it will taste like.

But now the wonderful waft of fresh bread, spiced with oregano and cheese is meeting my nostrils, so maybe, eventually I'll get over the whole incident and have another go, with all the right ingredients in a warm house when I have all day to wait for it to rise. 
The taste test come breakfast time will be the clincher.


Delicious, and well worth all the eventful happenings and kitchen wrecking.

No comments:

Post a Comment