Thursday 7 November 2013

Bread Take 2!

I will not be beaten by those Hairy Bikers, and the first loaf tasted so scrumptious despite its appearance, so I made a second batch of dough today - with a bit more forward thinking I made less mess in the kitchen, but it was still very wet and not easy to knead, but most of my clothes were dough free this time!
 
Instead of Jarlsberg I used mature cheddar, and fresh parsley (which the recipe had asked for originally). I wisely divided the mixture into 2, still not 4, and yes, this was still a mistake when it came to plaiting it. You'd think I'd learn my lesson by now!

So when it came to the taste test - Jack and Clare had come for tea, it was fresh out of the oven, and he was starving (having found a caterpillar in his brocholli in last night's meal - but that's a whole other story) so the loaf went down very nicely, both on its own and with the Caribbean Curry I had made.

They both compared it with the tiny bit left over from the first loaf, and the votes were 50/50. Next time I think I'll do the oregano version, add a bit of garlic, and serve it up as a garlic bread alternative.

And while I was feeling like such a domestic goddess I rustled up a cheaty pie. Ready made pastry, and canned pie filling - but it tasted delicious with ice cream for pudding. 
And then came the beer tasting ...

No comments:

Post a Comment