Saturday 12 July 2014

Ribena Muffins

I was out in the garden and discovered that if I was quick I could actually beat the birds to the blackcurrants. I planted the bush years ago, and forgot, and rediscovered it recently at the bottom of the garden. But then, of course, I doubted that they were edible blackcurrants and maybe some other poisonous berries that just happened to be growing in the garden. So I waited until an elderly neighbour walked by and asked her opinion of what I'd harvested - she seemed convinced of their authenticity, so I baked them into muffins. 
I'm still alive a few days later, which is great, so I guess my neighbour was right. They were very tasty too - the muffins, not the neighbour.
In a large bowl mix together:
375g self-raising flour
220g caster sugar

In a small bowl mix together:
90g melted butter
half cup sour cream
quarter cup milk (or neat Ribena if you want extra flavour!)
2 large eggs

Mix the wet into the dry then stir in:
1 cup (fresh from the garden) blackcurrants

Divide the mixture between 12 muffin cases
Bake on Gas 5/6 for 20-25 minutes
Leave in the tin for a few minutes before removing onto a wire rack to cool

No comments:

Post a Comment