Tuesday 15 April 2014

Enchilada Sauce

Today has been a kind of Masterchef experience in my kitchen. 

My brother is coming for the Easter weekend, and he is a vegie - so I figured I had better try and get my head into gear to prepare some interesting meals in advance for us all to eat after a long day of photographing stuff, as I just know that I have no chance of preparing a vegie alternative to any of my usual stuff without a lot of thought beforehand. 

Thankfully my ever resourceful daughter came to the rescue with her pinterest board of scrumptious recipes that she wanted to try out. So today we have devastated my kitchen and prepared:
Stuffed Butternut Squash - filled with wild rice, mango chutney, cranberries, lime and various spices. 
We then made a sweet potato, chickpea and spinach Pasanda curry. 
After that we did sweet potato and black bean Enchiladas, as well as making our own sauce.
I also made chicken enchiladas too, just to keep my son-in-law happy over Easter.
The enchilada sauce was really good, so here is the recipe below. Although next time I make it I'll remember to read the process properly, as in a moment of madness I threw all the ingredients together and chucked the flour in at the last minute and only to be expected - it went totally lumpy!! After much sieving and re-doing of the flour bit, I got a great sauce.


Ingredients
3 cups vegetable broth
1/4 cup tomato paste
1/4 cup all plain flour

2 tbsp. olive oil
2 tsp. cumin
1/4 tsp. garlic powder
1/4 tsp. onion powder
(I didn't have any of this so I left it out)
1/4 tsp. chili powder
Salt/pepper

Directions
In a small bowl, combine flour, cumin, garlic powder, onion powder, and chili powder.
In a medium saucepan, heat olive oil over medium heat.
Add tomato paste, and the bowl of flour and spices.
Cook 1 minute, whisking continuously.
Whisk in broth, increase heat, and bring to a light boil.
Reduce to simmer. Cook about 8 minutes or until slightly thickened, whisking occasionally.
Salt/pepper to taste.

No comments:

Post a Comment